Tips to make moving house easier
Author: Dolphin Storage
Somebody should have told you. Never water pot plants on the day of your removal.
It goes without saying why, but it’s something we don’t often think of. Be kind and helpful to your removalist.
Respect your removalist
Be helpful and don’t stand in the way. You wouldn’t believe how many people think they are giving good directions to the removalist. They know what they are doing and it’s a heavy job. Get out of their way and be respectful.
Remember these packing tips
There are several things you can do to make a move less stressful for everyone involved.
These tips from various sources can also be applied when moving your things:
- Disassemble your flat-pack furniture. “Your flat-pack furniture isn’t built to last — or be moved. It can fall apart at the slightest provocation,” Furniture makers say. Don’t take the risk. Packing it down will hugely increase the odds of being able to use it again.
- Empty your drawers. “Empty your stuff — carrying a chest full of drawers that wasn’t even made to be moved empty is dangerous.”
- Don’t water your pot plants the day before moving. “Plants are really heavy when they’re full of water.”
- Tape your boxes on both sides. “When you’re trying to stack stuff in the truck, it helps.”
- Use similar sized boxes where you can. It makes stacking easier.
- Don’t recycle boxes that are too worn. “Sometimes you’ll be on a move carrying someone’s china in a shoebox and it just disintegrates in your hand.”
- If you don’t opt for a packing service — have everything packed. “If you rock up to someone’s house and they haven’t packed their stuff, and they expect you to, we are going to be there for double the time and we’re going to charge you for that.”
- Be kind. “The worst times aren’t a matter of lifting something terrible, but instead lifting something terrible for a terrible person.”
Move your own valuables, disassemble flat packed items
Research the removalist you are looking at hiring and see if you can get a referral from a friend, family member or colleague. Doing your research will also set you up for a successful move.
Other tips include:
- Be clear about what needs to be moved. Often people have things they plan to throw out or sell online by the time they need to move, but it doesn’t happen in time. That can mean an increase in cost or the removalists might not even have the right truck to move that amount of stuff.
- Disassemble and assemble baby cots. Things like baby cots shouldn’t be touched by removalist because without instructions, they can cause problems later.
- Highlight fragile goods. If you have anything you want looked after carefully, tell the removalist about it when they do their walk-around.”
- Don’t give a removalist item of high value. That includes documents like passports — you don’t want to be in a situation where they get lost.
Click Here for Our Great Monthly Rates on Storage Units!
or Call 0403 503 519 and ask for a Quote
Dolphin Storage is a member of the Self Storage Association of Australasia
You can book and sign-up here. It’s so easy and there are NO lock-in contracts. Our storage agreement is accessible on line.
Debra at Dolphin Storage can help with any questions you may have to do with your self-storage needs.
Call Us Today | 0403 503 519