Simple Storage Tips you need to know
Below are a few tips for storing items in self- storage unit at Dolphin Storage.
Please call Dolphin Storage for any questions or concerns regarding your storage space.
A great product to use when storing clothes, furniture, and electronics is called “Damp Rid.” There are other similar products, and they all work great. This item works as a chemical dehumidifier and traps moisture within a self-contained trap. We recommend one container per 100 square feet. These products are available at stores like Bunnings in the household cleaning section.
Damp Rid works like this;
- Removes excess moisture from the air
- Eliminates musty odours caused by moisture
- The refillable container is ideal for wardrobes, bathrooms, bedrooms, boats and caravans
- It’s refillable and prevents mould and mildew
- Works by a natural process to automatically absorb moisture and humidity but never over-dry the air
- The DampRid Refillable Moisture Absorber prevents mould, mildew and musty odours. Perfect for any place in the home where moisture is a problem. It lasts up to 60 days depending on temperature and humidity.
- Box your storage items, clearly mark boxes on all sides, stack boxes from back to front and bottom to top.
- Watch out for storage facilities that flood or take water. Water damage will ruin your items, and remember the facility is not liable for the contents in the individual unit. Dolphin Storage Units location is a warm dry area, so its an unforeseen event that is rarely seen.
- Use a round disk lock to protect your unit. These locks offer great protection against theft.
- Keep Dolphin Storage up to date with your current phone number and address. People often use storage during moves and forget to update their record with the new information.
- Consider treating your unit for pest control, if you are holding valuable items. Prevents you from treating your own unit. Dolphin Storage has no idea, what everyone is storing, and again Dolphin Storage is not liable for the contents in the individual unit.
- Pay storage rent on time. Late fees and lock removal fees are costly and are completely avoidable. If a situation arises that may prevent you from making a payment on time, at least contact Dolphin Storage, to make arrangements. This may keep you from being fined with the late fees.
- Check on your stored items from time to time. Items in storage often shift, or boxes lose their strength, especially if other items are stacked on top of them.
- Never store flammables, explosives, combustibles, or other items that are conceived as a hazard.
- Never store food items in storage either.